Sep 9, 2009

Lay It Down




"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" Matt. 11:28

Sometimes, I have a tendency to carry too many bags, to work, to church, to and from the grocery store. Somewhere in my immediate proximity, there always seems to be bag to carry. As I got on the train this morning for my commute, I realized I was carrying a bag that I really did not need. I should have left it in the car, but instinctively grabbed it by mistake. Being that I was pressed for time, I decided to carry the bag with me even though I really did not need it. How many times do we carry burdens through life unneccessarily? Is this done so often that it becomes a part of our routine?


If you have ever found yourself burdened by the pressures of life and carrying the weight of life's burdens, you are not alone and most importantly there is hope. In Matt, Jesus spoke about burdens and promised to grant us rest if we laid our burdens on him. Matt 11:29-30 says: "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." We have been given a great opportunity to leave the "bags" of life behind by giving them to God allowing him to eliminate the worry, stress, frustration and hurt that we can routinely carry. As we give these burdens to God, he grants us joy, peace and happiness. Who wouldn't want that kind of trade in? Take a moment and think about what you have been carrying and make a decision to give it to God today, he is waiting to take it from you.




Prayer: Lord, show me how to release the burdens of my life to you. When I am frustrated by what is going on, help me to remember that I can exchange my burdens for your peace, joy and happiness. I release to you now those things that are beyond my control trusting that you will take care of them and take care of me in the process. -Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment