Sep 16, 2010

Here to Help

“I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

One of my favorite stories about God’s assistance happened on a New York City street corner.
My friends and I had just finished dinner at a restaurant in Manhattan. To our surprise when we arrived at the car, the back tire was flat. Here we are, five ladies trying to change a flat in the New York night air. We struggled, “hold it”, “where’s the jack?”, “this thing doesn’t fit!!”, the phrases we used that night were endless as we tried to figure out how to get the tire changed. There was a guy laying on a stoop about 5 steps from us, he would peer at us occasionally and ask “Do you need help with that?”, “No” was our reply and he would commence to lay his head back down on the cardboard pallet he was using as a bed. As we struggled, gradually becoming more and more frustrated. After the fifth or sixth time he asked, “Do you need help with that?” and we finally agreed to accept his help. Before we knew it, he had jacked up the car and changed the tire and to our amazement, he didn’t even need our tools!!! We all looked at each other in bewilderment as we watched the same job that took us two hours to complete, this man finished in under five minutes. On top of it, he wouldn’t accept any money for the job, in his words our “Thank you-s” were enough.
In the day to day hustle of our lives, it is easy to get caught up trying fix things ourselves. If something is going wrong, we dive in, at times never considering the notion of accepting assistance. We rip, run and pull things together in order to find a viable solution to the matters of our lives, but when was the last time you considered that maybe your situation is a job for God? He sits patiently watching us and asking, “Do you need help with that?”, once we agree, the supernatural begins to take place and what took a millennium is reduced to a moment in HIS time. Whenever you find yourself in a situation that is out of your control, trust and know that it is under God’s control and it will take HIM a few moments to make it right for you. And similar to our tire-changing angel, your “Thank you” to the Father will be enough.

Prayer: God, help me to recognize the moments when you are offering me your assistance. Forgive me for not coming to you first and foremost when I face a trying circumstance. Thank you for your willingness to help me with everything that I face. Help me to depend on you even more as you guide me through life’s journey. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment