Oct 9, 2009

Living Purpose, Finding Balance

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matt 6:33
I believe I learned one of the most important lessons of life yesterday. It was something that I heard about, but I got an opportunity to put it into practice. The lesson was about Balance. In a world where we are constantly juggling career, family, church, chores, activities and just life in general, it is very easy to lose sight of balance and what is really most important. About 18 months ago, I was in a lot of prayer and seeking God's heart about my purpose in life, since then, he has revealed to me my purpose for living and I have began to live out that purpose. I read in Rick Warren's book "The Purpose Driven Life" that sometimes when you are living for purpose, it is not a matter of doing more, it is a matter of doing less while maximizing purpose. When I read this, it completely defied how I had been living my life, I was under the impression that the more you do, the more you matter. This mentality was causing me to run from here to there to everywhere trying to accomplish multiple things at the same time, to my disadvantage, it was not a balanced process at all.
Currently, my life's purpose is beginning to take shape and I can see God's hand in what I am accomplishing for him. Recently, I was presented with an opportunity to do something that I love to do. I was excited about the opportunity because I am so passionate about what I was asked of me. Then God spoke and said, "Is this within purpose right now?", as I was asked this, I thought about balance and what would become of purpose if I threw this thing into the equation. It was not in the realm of purpose so I declined the opportunity. Purpose causes a realignment of priorities and an adjustment of your will to God's will. Purpose brings balance because our will revolves around God. Balance breeds Purpose because it frees us to up to focus on what is really most important. He will test us to see if we will really do what he is calling us to do, which is seek his kingdom through accomplishing his purpose. The decision is not always easy, but the benefit is maximizing your life for his purpose.
Prayer: Lord, thank you for giving me a purpose for living. As I live allow me to balance my life around your will for my life. Open my eyes to see what you are doing around me, you have given me all the tools to do what you have asked of me and I pray that I will maximize those things for your glory. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment